Selecting one of these links will direct you to the Office of the Controller's list of forms. Be sure to
bookmark it for future reference.
All Payroll Forms
The Ohio State University is required by federal law to provide each employee with a Form W-2 (Wage and Tax Statement) that states the employee’s compensation and tax withholding amounts for the calendar year, on or before January 31st of the following year.
University employees may choose to access their W-2 statement electronically through Employee Self Service (preferred) or to receive a paper copy mailed to their home address on file.
The benefits of receiving an online W-2 form are:
- Faster access than through the mail
- Significantly less risk that your W-2 may be lost or stolen, compared with mailed delivery
- Available on demand from any location with internet availability
- Environmental impact
Employers must comply with specific Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations (26 CFR 31.6051-1) to issue electronic W-2s, and employees must provide their consent to receive an electronic W-2 instead of a paper copy.
See below for instructions on how to access your W-2 electronically and for the required IRS Disclosure Statement.
Accessing Your W-2 Online
To access your W-2 online for 2013 and onward, you must provide your consent through Employee Self Service. There is a W-2 Consent section with a Consent Now button. Alternatively you can look for the Tax Information folder under the Time and Pay section and click on the W-2/W-2c Consent link.
Once you have signed up for electronic forms, you can print copies of your W-2s for tax years 2013 and onward at any time. To access our forms, log on to Employee Self Service and under the Tax Information folder in the Time and Pay section, click on the View W-2/W-2c Forms link. The most recent tax year forms will display. To view your tax forms for a different year, click on the View a Different Tax Year link.
Note: If you are a former employee and no longer have access to Employee Self Service, please contact Payroll Services at (614) 292-2311.
- Consent Generally: If an employee does not consent to receive an electronic version of the W-2 form, he or she will continue to be furnished with a paper W-2 form. The “default” position is for employees to receive paper W-2 forms via U.S. mail.
- Scope and Duration of Consent: An employee’s consent to receive a W-2 form in electronic format is effective only for all future tax years until consent is withdrawn. Payroll Services will notify employees each year when the W-2 Forms are available for access online.
- Procedure for Obtaining Paper W-2s After Consent Given: After giving consent, an employee may still request a paper Form W-2 by contacting Payroll Services in writing (either by email to W2@osu.edu or by U.S. mail to (901 Woody Hayes Dr., Blankenship Hall, 2nd Floor, Columbus Ohio 43210). The request for a paper Form W-2 will not terminate consent to receive W-2 Forms electronically in the future.
- Withdrawal of Consent: An employee may withdraw his or her consent at any time. Consent withdrawn by employees is only effective for W-2s not yet issued, and does not apply to previously issued Forms W-2. To withdraw your consent, you may change your selection in Employee Self Service to receive a paper copy or send a request to W2@osu.edu.
- Terminated Employees: All terminated employees regardless of consent will no longer be able to access the electronic W-2. A paper W-2 will be sent to all terminated employees. Terminated employees can contact Payroll Services at (614) 292-2311 for instructions on updating personal information.
- Updating Information for Active Employees: It is the employee’s responsibility to notify Payroll Services of any changes to personal information such as social security number or name by submitting a Change of Record form. Address changes must be made via Employee Self Service. It is Payroll Services responsibility to notify employees of changes to the University’s contact information.
- Hardware and Software Requirements: The hardware and software requirements needed to access, print and retain Form W-2 electronically include an internet connection, web browser, and Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Inaccessible W-2s or Technical Problems: If an employee consents to accessing an electronic W-2 and is unable to access their form online due to a technical problem, incorrect login or password, or incorrect e-mail address, the employee may request a paper copy.