Selecting one of these links will direct you to the Office of the Controller's list of forms. Be sure to
bookmark it for future reference.
All Payroll Forms
Quick Reference LinksProgram Terms and Conditions
How to Start Your COTA Deduction
How to Stop Your COTA Deduction
Frequently Asked Questions
The Ohio State University offers a COTA Bus Access Payroll Deduction Program for faculty and staff. Under the program, faculty and staff can opt to have unlimited COTA bus access through a pre-tax deduction taken from their pay each month. Employees are responsible for starting and stopping this deduction via Employee Self Service. Here are some important program details:
- Payments for COTA bus access are made in advance, so the pre-tax deduction that is taken one month provides COTA bus access for the following calendar month. For example, if a COTA Bus Access deduction comes out of an employee’s May paycheck, that employee is eligible to ride the bus for the month of June.
- If an employee is paid biweekly, the deduction will be taken from the second paycheck of the month.
- The amount of the deduction will be determined by the cost of the local COTA bus pass as dictated by COTA.
- There are no COTA bus passes provided. Employees access the bus by using their BuckID. When you enroll for the first time in the program, you will need to obtain an updated BuckID from the BuckID office in the Ohio Union.
- Once an employee has enrolled, the payroll deduction will continue until the employee stops the deduction.
- Tax laws do not permit any refund of the pre-tax deduction once deducted.
Faculty and staff members can start and stop their COTA Bus Access payroll deduction at any time via Employee Self Service.
Starting the COTA Deduction
All employees must use Employee Self Service to elect to pay for monthly COTA bus access by payroll deduction. The deduction will come out on a monthly basis. The enrollment deadlines are below:
|Pay Frequency||Enrollment Deadline||Bus Access Eligibility|
|Biweekly||7th of the month||Begins on the 1st of the following month|
|Monthly||15th of the month||Begins on the 1st of the following month|
Step-by-step instructions for starting a COTA Bus Access deduction can be found here.
The deduction will continue to come out until it is stopped by the employee via Employee Self Service.
Stopping the COTA Deduction
If an employee wishes to stop his/her pre-tax COTA Bus Access deduction, he/she must do so via Employee Self Service by the deadlines below:
|Pay Frequency||Cancelation Deadline||Bus Access Eligibility|
|Biweekly||7th of the month||Terminates at the end of the month|
|Monthly||15th of the month||Terminates at the end of the month|
Step-by-step instructions for stopping a COTA Bus Access deduction can be found here.
Failure to stop the deduction by the deadline will generate a payroll deduction that month, and no adjustments will be made to return the funds to the employee.